6 Ways To Avoid A Remodel
No one actually wants to remodel their home. They may hate the current condition. They may be looking forward to the end result. The middle part, however, the actual remodeling part, can be the stuff of nightmares. Luckily, there are ways to avoid the time, money, and energy suck of a remodel by simply refreshing what you already have.
1. Wallpaper Removal: Wallpaper is one of those things that seemed like a good idea—at the time. Spend a Saturday and some elbow grease removing it. The decades will come off with each passing moment.
2. Floor Refinishing: If your home has scuffed and dated wood floors, it can age the entire space quickly. Tearing out wood floors is a messy business, but you won't be stuck with those Brazilian cherry floors from 1992 forever. Floor refinishing is an easy way to go from dated to stylish without going broke in the process. If this isn't a task you want to handle on your own, companies like Green Lion Cleaning can help.
3. New Countertops: Kitchen cabinets are meant to last. Why replace them when the real offender in your dated kitchen is the countertop? Avoid the time and expense—and endless take out meals—of a kitchen remodel by simply replacing the countertops with something sleek and modern. Ditch the laminate for granite. The process is painless, and, once the product has been ordered to your home's exact specifications, it can often be installed in just a few hours.
4. Cabinet Refacing: If you still think the cabinets are at fault, there are options. Cabinet refacing is the process of removing the doors and drawer fronts while leaving the cabinet boxes in place. The pieces are then given a face lift and reinstalled. The whole process is fairly painless.
5. Power Wash: The easiest way to spruce up the outside entertaining area of your home is to give it a good, deep-down cleaning. Rent a pressure washer and get to cleaning. Wood decks, cement patios, and even your home's siding can get dirty—a kind of dirty that doesn't simply wash away with the rain. You'd be surprised how much better everything looks after a good cleaning.
6. New Paint: Last, but certainly not least, grab a can of paint. The hands-down easiest way for your home to look great without the remodel is to slap on a fresh coat of paint. Pick a vibrant color for the front door, and the whole house will look better. Put up a new color in the living room, and change the whole vibe of the place. Paint is cheap and easy. Grab your brush and try it.